Friday 26 November 2010

Die by the Drop pics + another new E8


Apophenia E8 7a  - Taking each move as it comes on the crux section. Photo:  © Suzy Devey


Above and below: Die By the Drop E10 7a (video stills)





Man it’s great to be home after a week on the road on one stage or another. I’ve come home to a great spell of weather which has halted work on my book but been great for cragging. 
Yesterday I returned to Donald’s slab in Glenfinnan with Donald himself and the keen gang for a great session in crisp winter sun. Kev dispatched Donald’s E5 ‘Frustration’ in a smooth lead, if you can call one shaky skyhook a lead rather than a solo.
Afterwards I started up the remaining project on lead, with a lump in my throat. It has 2 microwires for gear which is twice as many runners as Die By the Drop just to the left. But the crux is a pure balance move without really anything useful for the hands to apply ‘do or die’ finger strength to if you don’t climb it perfectly on the lead.
As it was, although I had a bit of mishap with lead ropes behind heels on ‘the move’, I felt good on it in the superb conditions after the sun had dropped. Still, ‘Apophenia' still felt like a solid E8 7a to me. I suppose it might be a good idea to sharpen some ice axes soon? What do you do when conditions are perfect for bouldering, sport, hard trad and winter all at the same time? It’s a hard life. Some more photos below of the action yesterday. I'm editing some film of these ascents just now too.



Suzy enjoying the lovely light for photography


Kev, solid on the sharp end of ‘Frustration’ E5 6a




Lovely afternoon at Steall the other day


3 comments:

  1. Bloody Impressive looking stuff!
    Eddie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures, mine never seem to turn out that good.

    Stan Susmanon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic video- can you pleeeaase tell me what the tunes are in the background!
    Many thanks indeed

    ReplyDelete